Question about applying

If You Would Like to Contribute To Our Family, You Can Fill Out An Application Here
Nowhere
Rank 10

#16 Post by Nowhere » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:43 am

I've had discussions about this topic, and the biggest problem as stated in The Prince "power corrupts, absolute power corupts absolutely." Based on human nature such a leader would be nearly impossible to find.
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM - SGT_SF

silentpartner
Rank 5

#17 Post by silentpartner » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:58 am

Nowhere.Lang wrote:I've had discussions about this topic, and the biggest problem as stated in The Prince "power corrupts, absolute power corupts absolutely." Based on human nature such a leader would be nearly impossible to find.
That's why robots will inherit the earth.

PacketLoss
Rank 8

#18 Post by PacketLoss » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:27 am

Ain Soph Aur.Lang wrote:Packet? Is that found in "The Republic"? That stuff is really interesting to me.
Yeah it's all there. I agree, it's great stuff. I can't get enough political philosophy.
Nowhere.Lang wrote:I've had discussions about this topic, and the biggest problem as stated in The Prince "power corrupts, absolute power corupts absolutely." Based on human nature such a leader would be nearly impossible to find.
Yeah that's why they call Plato an idealist, unfortunately. Realistically, there is no doubt that such a system would never work properly (though the Muslim Caliphs came rather close, for some time). Oh well.

Pemdas
Rank 3

#19 Post by Pemdas » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:55 am

PacketLoss.Lang wrote:Edit: And to make this at least slightly pertinent to the topic, Java is indeed a good example of this. He obviously has the best intentions of Lang at heart, and although he often consults our opinions, he is not restricted by a messy democratic system in his leadership role. Not everyone is always 100% pleased or satisfied with every decision, but the end result is a phenomenally successful (and almost entirely strife-free) community whose resilience and remarkable lifespan is indubitable.
As you may have noticed, I already applied, so I may as well start shaking the tree now. :)

I think you're overlooking a key point in declaring that the model works for Lang. The philosopher king is assumed to both have the best interests of his subjects at heart, and implicitly know the best way to pursue those interests. I tend to think Java does a pretty good job, especially in the first point, but also in the second, otherwise I wouldn't have applied. However, the danger of a more democratic power structure is the same as its strength, though; more voices. It means that you sometimes get bogged down, but other times you get outside voices with better ideas (which are implicitly contrary to the king's ideas, otherwise it's a moot point.)

What I see in Lang that gave me pause in applying is a tendency to put Java on a pedestal. I see a great deal of yes-man style chorusing that I think goes beyond simple community support and is intertwined with the power structure. I think there is pressure felt by new Langs to specifically impress Java. I don't think this is something Java or Lang actively encourages, I think it's something that falls out of the given power structure.

My $0.02

brews.Lang
Rank 7

#20 Post by brews.Lang » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:11 am

I was of the opinion that the lot of you exist for the sole purpose of amusing me. By the way, you're doing a crappy job so far.
"We want to get that pickle jar off this coyote's head. For humane reasons, we don't want him to suffer. We don't want him to go through life with a pickle jar on his head." Virginia Moreno

IncredibleMojo
Rank 6

#21 Post by IncredibleMojo » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:13 am

and furthermore, should java become a corrupt tyrant, we can simply do what all peasants do: revolt, kill all the aristocracy, fall into anarchy, and reemerge in another leadership model. This model is often a military junta or totalitarian regime.

Java ya gotta be laughing really hard by now :wink:

Java
Rank 11
Steam ID: java_lang

#22 Post by Java » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:14 am

I'm mostly amused by how appropriate thebrews' avatar is for this topic.
Join our Slack channel. Send me a PM with your email address for an invite.

brews.Lang
Rank 7

#23 Post by brews.Lang » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:32 am

Java.Lang wrote:I'm mostly amused by how appropriate thebrews' avatar is for this topic.
and don't you forget it. :evil:
"We want to get that pickle jar off this coyote's head. For humane reasons, we don't want him to suffer. We don't want him to go through life with a pickle jar on his head." Virginia Moreno