Question about applying

If You Would Like to Contribute To Our Family, You Can Fill Out An Application Here
Pemdas
Rank 3

Question about applying

#1 Post by Pemdas » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:59 am

So I'm thinking about applying, but I'm actually a bit curious about the process. If this is written down somewhere, feel free to tell me to go RTFM.

The way I see it, once an app is submitted, it usually stews for a while, then (sometimes) it's suddenly approved. Is the process between the two formal? My impression is that, in the end, Java makes the decisions as to who's in and who's out.

Fundamentally, that's my concern. It's not that I don't think Java is a good guy--my impression is that he's generally a pretty hoopy frood. However, if the decision making and leadership is unilateral, I'm not sure that's a community with which I want to be formally associated, no matter how much I enjoy playing with y'all.

So, if the information is available to the mere mortal, would anyone care to comment on how apps are reviews/approved?

Also, of perhaps more importance, would I REALLY have to change my name to Pemdas.lang? You sure you don't want to rename it the H clan? REALLY sure?

;)

Java
Rank 11
Steam ID: java_lang

#2 Post by Java » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:08 am

Yeah you guessed it, ultimately I make the final decision who is in or out, although it is the individual's responsibility to make a good impression on us.

There are a couple good threads that can give you more information; "Making Good As An Interested Candidate" is one of them.
Join our Slack channel. Send me a PM with your email address for an invite.

Ain Soph Aur
Rank 8

#3 Post by Ain Soph Aur » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:23 am

Pemdas wrote:
I don't think Java is a good guy--my impression is that he's generally a pretty hoopy frood.
Wow...that's harsh, whatever a hoopy frood is.
There's no escapin, once my blade starts scrapin...
My swords indeed, make more niggas bleed.

Pemdas
Rank 3

#4 Post by Pemdas » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:09 pm

Ain Soph Aur.Lang wrote:Pemdas wrote:
I don't think Java is a good guy--my impression is that he's generally a pretty hoopy frood.
Wow...that's harsh, whatever a hoopy frood is.
Ever considered working for Fox News? I think you'd be good at it. :D

$deadbeef
Rank 3

Re: Question about applying

#5 Post by $deadbeef » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:15 pm

Pemdas.H wrote:[...]
At the risk of insulting you (I doubt it; you clearly know where your towel is), I'd like to say that your wonderfully sad edit of that logo had me choking on my "morning" coffee.  You really know how to paint with pathos, Pemdas.  :D

Man, that's a thing of beauty.  (Wipes tear from eye.)  :cry:

<= $db would subscribe to the .H clan !:!:1!

Pemdas
Rank 3

Re: Question about applying

#6 Post by Pemdas » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:56 pm

At the risk of insulting you (I doubt it; you clearly know where your towel is), I'd like to say that your wonderfully sad edit of that logo had me choking on my "morning" coffee. You really know how to paint with pathos, Pemdas. :D
Hey, what can I say? Given 3 minutes, a source graphic, and the gimp, I'm a dangerous, dangerous man. ;)

Ain Soph Aur
Rank 8

#7 Post by Ain Soph Aur » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:29 pm

Pemdas Wrote:
Ever considered working for Fox News? I think you'd be good at it.
No, i have a conscience. But thanks for noticing my feeble attempt to distort the truth for my own agenda just like American news corporations!

Eruditorum.Lang
Rank 6
Steam ID: Eruditorum

#8 Post by Eruditorum.Lang » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:50 pm

Pemdas wrote:Ever considered working for Fox News? I think you'd be good at it. :D
Ha! so true... :lol:
"West Berliners who will not in future be able to visit their gardens or other property in East Berlin and the DDR can complain to the guilty party- the city council of West Berlin- and ask them for compensation."
-The Soviet Ministry of Internal Affairs

"That`s true enough," said Candide, "but we must go and work in the garden." -Voltaire

IncredibleMojo
Rank 6

#9 Post by IncredibleMojo » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:11 pm

Java runs what I believe to be the best form of government...a benevolent dictatorship....HAIL TO THE KING!!

Ain Soph Aur
Rank 8

#10 Post by Ain Soph Aur » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:47 pm

IncredibleMojo.Lang wrote:
a benevolent dictatorship
oxymoron...

Muskrat
Rank 4

#11 Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:39 pm

IncredibleMojo.Lang wrote:Java runs what I believe to be the best form of government...a benevolent dictatorship....HAIL TO THE KING!!
All that's left is for Lang top get hold of some "WMD" And Bush to call Java bad names for mercelessly killing his own people(in game of course)
Currently [RIT]GanhiMangler on CSS

Cyber
Rank 5

#12 Post by Cyber » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:29 pm

well, the rules about lang are pretty clear...you've got to treat other members and players with respect; can't join another clan while with us; we don't compete, you need to remain active on one of our media; you've got to buy us all a beer. After that, there seems to be alot of freedom. We have lively discussions, play anyway we want, use ventrillo and irc with reckless abandon etc etc etc.....
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

Kentho Birne
Rank 7
Steam ID: mspencer86

#13 Post by Kentho Birne » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:11 pm

IncredibleMojo.Lang wrote:Java runs what I believe to be the best form of government...a benevolent dictatorship....HAIL TO THE KING!!
How many discussions have we had about this, Packet? :wink:
beni wrote:Hey, as they say, there's no place like 127.0.0.1!
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous

PacketLoss
Rank 8

#14 Post by PacketLoss » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:01 am

Kentho Birne.Lang wrote:How many discussions have we had about this, Packet? :wink:
Quite a few 8)
Ain Soph Aur.Lang wrote:oxymoron...
Nope! Plato's model of the "philosopher-king" is indeed a benevolent dictatorship. The king, in his infinite wisdom and unchallenged popular support, can easily make the best decisions for his people and make them quickly -- without the impediment of a long vote, involving individual parties that might not be so group-minded.

The Caliphs of the Muslim Empire (pre-1000 CE) are probably the best example of this. Under their enlightened rule, the Muslims conquered an enormous empire, with virtually complete domestic tranquility. They were a bastion of knowledge and learning, which subsequently brought Europe out of the "Dark Ages" a few centuries later. One of the most successful empires the world has ever seen in many ways, no doubt.

Edit: And to make this at least slightly pertinent to the topic, Java is indeed a good example of this. He obviously has the best intentions of Lang at heart, and although he often consults our opinions, he is not restricted by a messy democratic system in his leadership role. Not everyone is always 100% pleased or satisfied with every decision, but the end result is a phenomenally successful (and almost entirely strife-free) community whose resilience and remarkable lifespan is indubitable.

Not everyone is completely pleased or satisfied in democracy either, anyway.
Last edited by PacketLoss on Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ain Soph Aur
Rank 8

#15 Post by Ain Soph Aur » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:18 am

Packet? Is that found in "The Republic"? That stuff is really interesting to me.