WineGuy's application

If You Would Like to Contribute To Our Family, You Can Fill Out An Application Here
Nowhere
Rank 10

#91 Post by Nowhere » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:23 pm

No, no, no...it's the intertubes or The Google.
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM - SGT_SF

X-President
Rank 8

#92 Post by X-President » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:59 am

Wineguy, I was just wondering if you have any Ice Wines.

Doesn't seem like alot of Wineries make them. I only know of one or two that have them for a short time.

Wineguy
Rank 9

#93 Post by Wineguy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:34 pm

Ice wines really can not be made in most parts of the USA. There are very strict labeling requirements in order to have a true 'ice wine'. A substitute sometimes go by 'late harvest wines'. This is where the juice or grapes are frozen after harvest in order to extract H2O. True ice wines need to be frozen on the vine. This can only happen where there is a very swift and complete freeze in a relatively short time after ripening.
" the whole point of everything in the health care bill is to price private sector insurance companies out of business leaving only one place to go, and that is the federal government.”

Nowhere
Rank 10

#94 Post by Nowhere » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:40 pm

You could refrigerate the entire area. :D
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM - SGT_SF

Zephyr
Rank 8

#95 Post by Zephyr » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:33 am

First one to 10 pages gets in. The loser gets banished. I think it's fair. :D

X-President
Rank 8

#96 Post by X-President » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:12 pm

Wineguy wrote:Ice wines really can not be made in most parts of the USA. There are very strict labeling requirements in order to have a true 'ice wine'. A substitute sometimes go by 'late harvest wines'. This is where the juice or grapes are frozen after harvest in order to extract H2O. True ice wines need to be frozen on the vine. This can only happen where there is a very swift and complete freeze in a relatively short time after ripening.
So you can't produce them? I know you can get them in Northeast Ohio. I think they are true Ice Wines. They can get quick freezes there. Although as of late with all the warm weather I'm sure it's not working out good for it.

Here's 1 Winery that gets them out almost every year, I think.

http://www.ferrantewinery.com/

Wineguy
Rank 9

#97 Post by Wineguy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:29 pm

I can't make true ice wines. The whole concept is kind of skeptical and has caused more than a few arguments among wineries and winemakers. The fact is that a super quality dessert wine can be made buy both methods. As I said before, a true ice wine is start from grapes frozen on the vine. An easier, but some times more effective method is to harvest the grapes before they have had a chance to freeze, crush and press. Than you freeze the juice solid. Once you have a solid block of juice, you start to let it thaw and you collect the first part of the drippings. This is a highly concentrated juice with a very high sugar content. (water is the last to thaw) Once more water starts thawing and dripping, you end the collection process and discard the frozen water. We have made several wines using this process. The key is to end up with a final juice that has a certain range of sugar content. It is much easier and effective to do this if you are thawing a block of juice rather than individually frozen grapes. Which is also one of the reason 'true' ice wines are so damn expensive.
" the whole point of everything in the health care bill is to price private sector insurance companies out of business leaving only one place to go, and that is the federal government.”

X-President
Rank 8

#98 Post by X-President » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Wineguy wrote:I can't make true ice wines. The whole concept is kind of skeptical and has caused more than a few arguments among wineries and winemakers. The fact is that a super quality dessert wine can be made buy both methods. As I said before, a true ice wine is start from grapes frozen on the vine. An easier, but some times more effective method is to harvest the grapes before they have had a chance to freeze, crush and press. Than you freeze the juice solid. Once you have a solid block of juice, you start to let it thaw and you collect the first part of the drippings. This is a highly concentrated juice with a very high sugar content. (water is the last to thaw) Once more water starts thawing and dripping, you end the collection process and discard the frozen water. We have made several wines using this process. The key is to end up with a final juice that has a certain range of sugar content. It is much easier and effective to do this if you are thawing a block of juice rather than individually frozen grapes. Which is also one of the reason 'true' ice wines are so damn expensive.

Cool, didn't know you could do it from a block of ice. Interesting.

Java
Rank 11
Steam ID: java_lang

Re: WineGuy's application

#99 Post by Java » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:01 am

Welcome!
Join our Slack channel. Send me a PM with your email address for an invite.